The spring literary meeting in Montpellier is now called La Comédie du Livre-Ten days in May will be held from May 1 to 22, in different places in the metropolis and high point, on the Esplanade Charles-de- Gaulle.
The press conference presenting the 37th edition of the Comédie du Livre was held this Friday in the gardens of the Maison des relations internationales. The opportunity for Michaël Delafosse mayor and president of the metropolis and Régis Penalva, literary director of the meeting, to present the small and big changes of an edition stalled over ten days.
“It’s a new format. We obviously keep the intensity on the Charles-de-Gaulle esplanade. It’s also ten days in May in the metropolis and the intermunicipalities that support Montpellier European Capital of Culture in 2028”underlined the aedile. European languages will be the main guests of this event. “
Régis Penalva detailed the major events of this 37th edition of the Comédie du Livre. “This first metamorphosis of the show will call for others in the years to come”he insisted. In total, there will be 70 publishers represented “with a high proportion of independent publishers”15 bookstores in Montpellier, 133 meetings, readings and shows, 127 authors and cartoonists, 46 regional publishing houses.
- The booksellers and publishers fair from May 20 to 22 on the Esplanade Charles-de-Gaulle. On 2500 m2, 70,000 visitors are expected over these three days. “It’s the popular soul of the show. It brings together book lovers, classes on Fridays, passing walkers.”
- Some major events from May 13 to 22: The inaugural meeting with Jean Christophe Ruffin (Friday May 13 at 8 p.m. in the Molière room of the Opéra Comédie), Guillaume Galienne revisits In Search of Lost Time by Marcel Proust on sheets found at the late publisher Bernard de Fallois (Wednesday May 18 at 8 p.m., Salle Molière at the Opéra Comédie), Mariana Enriquez and her book Notre part de nuit with The Fallen Angel by Cabanel on the cover. She will speak in the presence of the painting (Friday May 20 at 4 p.m. at the Musée Fabre). Medieval evening Tristan, Iseult, Arthur, a reading concert on Friday May 20 at 8:30 p.m. in the Molière room of the Opéra Comédie. Christine Angot will talk about Voyage dans l’Est, Prix Médicis 2021 (Saturday May 21 at 6 p.m. studio Bagouet). In conclusion: Tribu, a musical reading by the Montpellier Nathalie Yot with Denis Cassan, machines and synthesizers (Sunday May 22 at 7.30 p.m. center Rabelais)
- Foreign literature: a major change, there are no more guest countries. Note the presence of Zsuasa Bank (Germany).
- A carte blanche entrusted to a writer. The idea was put in place in 2012 by… Régis Penalva. This year, the hand is extended to Mohamed Mbougar Sarr, Prix Goncourt 2021 (The most secret memory of men). Around him, the author will discuss with his guest authors like Aminata Aidara or Sami Tchak.
- The anniversaries of independent publishers: Anacharsis editions from Toulouse (20 years), 6 feet under from Montpellier (30 years), Liana Levi from Paris (40 years). A big meeting is scheduled around the publishing house Liana Levi, in the presence of all its authors on Saturday May 21 at 4 p.m. in the Einstein room of the Corum.
- May 14 and 15 at the Domaine d’O: literature for children and young audiences. Workshops, shows, poetry, musical readings, youth and manga bookstores in the magnificent green setting of the park.
- Outings elsewhere: several meetings are scheduled with authors from May 20 to 22 in Vendargues, Castries, Cournonterral, Teyran, Les Matelles, Sète, Gignac, Combaillaux, Mèze.
- The Tanx exhibition at the Espace Dominique Bagouet (May 13-June 12). A traveling artist, botanist, zoologist, writer, engraver.
- Meetings with new authors such as Guillaume Aubin (The Anger Tree at La Contre-Allée editions), Laurine Thizy (Les Maisons Vides at Olivier editions)
- Some authors present: Milena Agus, Estelle Sarah Bulle, Antonio Dikele Distefano, Negar Djavadi, Eddy L.Harris, Andreï Kourko, Iain Leviso, Kim Thùy.
- The Mysteries of Montpellier, a collective writing of the pupils of the schools of the city, gathered in a volume. The literary anthology of French-speaking literary writers, several classes coordinated by the rectorate.
La Comédie du Livre, after two dotted years (2020 edition canceled due to covid, partly dematerialized in 2021 for the same reasons), is back in force. A show that serves as the launch of the festival season in the metropolis with Montpellier Danse, Stand builder in France, etc… “We missed all this and it feels good”commented Michaël Delafosse.